Eighth Regiment Connecticut Volunteers

Company A, Inc.

Genessee Country Village Museum

July 9-10, 2011
Genessee Country Village
Mumford, New York

Dear Friends,

We commenced our long trip via the trains, and did arrive in this locale around sunset on Friday. We were conducted to our camps and company streets established in the center of the town, and adjacent to the town green. We we there under the command of Tod Bryda and the 28th Mass. Co.K. We were welcomed, and got comfortable directly.

Saturday morning brought a rations issue, some quick cooking of breakfast, and then a company formation, and a march to the towns parade grounds, where the captain put us through our paces in drill for some long time. We returned to camp for some short rest and dinner efforts.

We were formed, and were to fight off a rebel push to tale the town. We were forwarded down the right side of the green, put out skirmishers, and engaged the gray backs. We were shuffled more to the left, and then fell back towards the green, where we were melting away under the rebel push. The battle ended with the rebels withdrawing when they surely could have pushed once more and taken the place. Luck was on our side that day.

Saturday late afternoon, the battlion held a very green dress parade, and were dismissed to the camps. We were invited to a citizens farm house, where our rations had been expertly converted into a fine banquest by the civilians of the 28th Mass. This hospitality was greatly appreciated, and unparalleled in the vicinity.

The town conducted a fine extravaganza in their local exposition hall for the soldiers and civilians. There was fine string music, dancing, and plenty of bitters provided. A good time was had by all. Thanks to the village of Genessee. The sights, sounds, singing, sipping, and all were greatly enjoyable.

Sunday morning brought more rations, and we were ordered up to drill once more. We were later put in column and marched to the west of the town. We rested from our march in a glade of woods off to the side of a huge open area of field upon field. After some time, we were put in march and forwarded towards a tree line occupied by the rebels. Our company was in skirmish line, and were the first to make contact. What we hit was a good number of rebel infantry masked in the woods, and a full battery of oguns that were wheeled out into the open as soon as we were forced to retire. Myself and Digger were slightly wounded, and did not retire with the company to the brigade line. We were caught behind the lines, and were witness to the rebel gunners and their operations during the engagement. The Union lines were reconsolidated, and pushed forward once more, against the guns and rebel infantry. The fighting was severe, and the lines barely moved forward or back. Finally, due to the mismatch in numbers, and their high number of casualties down on the field, they were forced from the field. The boys in blue were indeed victorious. We made our way back to our formation, were cleared, and marched back to our camps in the town of Genessee. We said all our good-byes, thank-yous, and packed our canvas into the wagons, and headed for our homes once more.

This event was a grand one, with good friends in the 28Mass.Co.K. hosting us, the hospitality of the Genessee Country Village, and all our friends there. We all simply thank you all very kindly for a wonderful event.

Your obedient servant,
Oliver C. Case.

E-Mail Us for More Information!
Eighth Regiment Connecticut Volunteers, Co.A, Inc.

Back to 2010 Archive

BACK to the 8CV Home Page.